Challenges Of A Paraplegia!

"I am too proud to Beg..."
Life on the wheelchair is the ultimate despair. It is world of immobility, of sitting in the iron chair and tugging with the arms. It is a life that pulls the break on a bubbling existence; that brings a racing athlete to standstill and reduces the energetic performer to a vegetable.
Trapped in the wheelchair, you see the world go round about you but you sit back and look. You curse the day you lost the springy powers of your feet and leave all else to fate.
But while this is the general lot of the physically challenged persons, Olatunji Sope Alabede who though on wheelchair is reversing his fate. He gripping his predicament firmly in his hand and turning around from helplessness to remarkable success.
Olatunji who comes from the family of nine children, four boys and five girls in Abeokuta, Ogun State lost his father in the year 2004, and his immediate sister in the year 2008. The journey of Olatunji on the wheelchair started in the year 2006. A once diploma student of law in the University of Ado-Ekiti between year 2004 to 2006. He was traveling with his late friend Francis on July 7, 2006 along Lagos-Ibadan expressway after their diploma course in UNAAD when the accident occurred. According to him, "A pastor saved us after the accident and we were taken to LASUTH in Lagos State where it was discovered by the medical practitioners that it was Spinal Cord injury I had and was later transferred to National Orthopaedic Hospital, Igbobi where I was admitted for 3months.
It was confirmed that it was Paraplegia on C6-L1level meaning that he can only make use of his upper hips 100% without any assistance. During the first year of his accident, he wanted to commit sucide but was later realized that he has lot to offer to Nigeria.
What do you think will have motivated Olatunji back to school? According to him, "I don't know actually, but what I could say motivated me back to school was my mother. As a primary school teacher, she wants me to be the best in what ever I do no matter what my condition is," He explained. He further adds what his challenges has being like after his accident, "I started writing JAMB in the year 2010 because I felt am too proud, sophisticated to stood low." My first JAMB choice was UNAAD, faculty of law but I was unable to secure an admission because the faculty building is an upstair."
"I also tried securing admission into Kogi State University but was also unable to do this based on the stress on the campus." "Later in the year 2011, I decided to write another JAMB and choose JABU and OOU as my choice of universities but I was also unable to secure an admission into these universities and from there I decided not to try again but thanks to God, my junior brothers and my sweet mother who persuaded me to write another JAMB examination in 2012 and by God's grace I was able to secure admission into this noble university to study International Relation."
There is something that is so special about Olatunji that people do not know, he says "Naturally, I want to make a great mark in this academic enivronment and Nigeria at large." "Do not be surprised on my convocation day in the year 2016 when you see me having prizes in at least four diffirent courses as the best student to serve as a source of contact to others who thought they have nothing to offer."
Olatunji who claims he can cook and wash cloths on his own without any assistance. "Nigeria is a country where we believe there is a bad leadership but I want people reading this now to know that bad followers lead to bad leaders. We need to contribute more to development of Nigeria." He claims that revolution must take place in Nigeria. "Nigeria can be a better nation if we want it to be."
Olatunji who's watchword is "Don't pity, all is well," postulated further that what anyone needs to do is to believe in oneself and if you can then you can. He is a funny guy who do not want people around him to be cold in behavior.
Olatunji an outstanding hero in Oduduwa University believes deep down within him that a better and accurate participation in this academic environment would lead him to great exploits in the future.

By: Adeyoola Adediran

Xubi Xhots

Comments

  1. May God be with you Sope and may your expectations not be cut short. Amen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AIDS miracle story

US researchers find a cure to HIV?

C.A Aina-Badejo.